Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Day 282

movie: Jiro Dreams of Sushi
starring: Jiro Ono, Yoshikazu Ono
genre: documentary
year: 2011
format: Shaw Video On Demand

plot: a documentary that follows an 85 year old Sushi master and his son, after he is awarded 3 Michelin Stars.

I had been hearing a lot of good stuff about this film, and given I'm a nut for foodie films, when this became available on SVOD, I had to see it.

I felt let down.  The film follows Jiro and his grown son for an unannounced amount of time as they talk about how he's not ready to give up working to let his son take over the business. You also meet some of the fish suppliers and the rice supplier but you never really get any sense of the reason behind why he got into the business.
And the subtitles were white on white and very tiny, which are always a pain in the ass to read.

I think had it had a bit more of the history of the food it would have appealed to me a bit more.

what do i think i learned from this film?
That the size of tuna is surprisingly huge.

No comments:

Post a Comment