Saturday, October 27, 2012

Saturday Morning Bites

Hallowe'en Week

Saturday mornings for me as a kid consisted of getting up and getting a bowl of either Fruit-Loops or Count Chocula, or both if I was quick enough before my Grandfather got up in the morning to catch me.

I'd take my cereal and proceed to the living room, curl up in a blanket and start watching the morning shows, which included  The Munsters, The Addams Family, The Hilarious House of Frightenstein, The Groovie Goolies, the Drak Pack, Amazing Spiderman, The Hulk,  and Scooby Doo.  (a few years later The Real Ghostbusters and Teen Wolf would take the time slot of the two  monster cartoons)

The Munsters, The Addams Family and The Hilarious House of Frightenstein would start at 6am and run till after 9am, then the cartoons would carry on through until lunch time.
After lunch, there would be the movie matinee that always had old black and white films and a host who would run a lotto during the breaks, making bad jokes. (movies hosts are still a cool idea)

I'm sitting here this morning, talking about this because of two things.  One, being last night the Hallowe'en special Mockingbird Lane (loved it!)  and the fact that I'm babysitting this morning, and the kid is watching tv and the shows are live action sitcoms. 
None of the channels we have carry cartoons in the way they did when I was a kid. (I'm 38) There is a two hour slot that carries the New Adventures of Scooby Doo and some Japanese Anime, but nothing like I remember.

Then again, there really hasn't been anything else like Hilarious House of Frightenstein.





No comments:

Post a Comment