Saturday, January 18, 2014

Year 3 Day 41

movie: Stepford Wives
starring: Nicole Kidman, Bette Midler
genre: Sci-fi, Comedy
year: 2004
format: TV edit

plot: After being fired from her job as a high level television producer, Joanne relocates to the suburbs with her family, and starts to notice that all the women dress and act the same. After investigating, she is shocked to learn that they all at one point had high level stressful careers such as herself, and that now they are simply robots.

This is a remake of the 1975 film of the same name, as well as being based on the book by Ira Levin, of the same name.

I have to admit, I've seen this more then a few times, basically whenever it's on tv. It's one of those films that you hate to love and love to hate.
The overall message is garbled, confused and yet; I can never take my eyes from it.  There is a part of human nature that both loathes and is drawn to this stereotype of social sameness. On one hand, you've got an extreme case of abusive repression happening, and on the other hand, you've got a longing to return to a simpler era.

The idea that you could create the perfect mate is appealing, but at what cost?  I'm a big fan of Frankenstein themed stories, and that is one of the main elements that draws me to this particular story.
Would I ever want to have a Stepford Husband?...sure if he looks like wrestler Seth Rollins, that would be hot! No one ever said I was politically correct.

No comments:

Post a Comment