Thursday, January 23, 2014

Year 3 Day 46

movie: Immortal Instruments City of Bones
starring: Aidan Turner, Kevin Durand
genre: Fantasy
year: 2013
format: Shaw Video On Demand

plot: A young girl learns that she is a supernatural creature after her mother is kidnapped. As she tries to rescue her, she learns about her past, her abilities, and what is really at stake.

Made in Canada, based on a series of books, British actors, and Kevin Durand. Bonus, it's got vampires, werewolves and witches. You know it's on my list of things to do/see.

I've gone back and forth this year in regards to this franchise in general. When I first saw a trailer for it about a year ago, I was interested. When I picked up the first book in the series, I was disappointed, but after seeing this film, all I can say is I can't wait for the next one and I need to finish reading the book series now. (I haven't finished the first book yet, I think I'm on chapter three)

Few months back, when I was talking to fans of the franchise, just before the movie came out, all I heard was "it's got Jamie Campbell Bower."   I had to look him up. Ends up he's in half the Twilight films and Anonymous. (Ah yes, the Young Earl of Oxford)

I'm surprised with some of the storyline, that it was geared for younger audiences. Just the fact they had a theme that hinted at a incestuous relationship between two of the main characters. The sub-plot is given as a rumour that is explained then ignored. So you're left to decide yourself as the viewer if the two main characters were lied to about being siblings.
I found that ironic, given Bower played a character in Anonymous that has an incestuous relationship as well. Then again, 90% of vampire/werewolf stories have an element of that in their plots...

What did I learn?  Not to shove off the genre of Young Adult fiction so easily, as there are some gems in the mix.  And "there's a rune for that."


No comments:

Post a Comment