Tuesday, October 7, 2014

At the table with...

Me!  Damn, I look like I'm about to bust a gut or something. This is why I don't have any photos of myself that were taken after 2009.  But here I am...make-up-less, without my glasses, and pretty much ready to curl up in bed with a cup of tea. I know right, I look like a hyena or something. Albino hyena...if there are such things. The whole Nosferatu thing making a bit more sense now isn't it? When I go out in the sun I don't tan, I don't burn, I implode.

Anyways, so the point of the post is not to draw attention to how much I belong in the shadowy deeps of  the basement, but to tell a dinner time story.  Not a bedtime story, cause I'm known to cause nightmares in even the bravest of souls...not always by accident either.

Have you seen Julie/Julia lately? You have, good, you know that scene where Julie Powell has friends over for dinner?  You know the one...anyways, I got this idea in my zombied brain that I wanted to be part of a cooking group.  Only, there didn't seem to be any here in town.
So I did what anyone with the tiniest kitchen space -it's a hall with a stove sink and fridge really tiny- and like zero space for a dinning room. I sent out an invite to a few people to start a Vegetarian/Vegan group.
And you know what...people liked the idea.

It was small, it was a potluck and it was fun.

Okay, so I made Chickpea Curry...so simple even I couldn't shack it up. Chickpeas, tomatoes, onion, spices.
Splattered the sauce everywhere when I was cooking it, and the turmeric bag ripped spilling the spice on the stove, the floor, my clothes. Yeah, I'll be cleaning all day tomorrow. Until then, my kitchen smells amazing and is basically covered in the golden yellow powder. Like fairy dust only you know, edible.

 Meg spent hours wrapping these to die for spring rolls...I don't know where she found the energy, cause god knows I'd never have the patience to put that much energy into it.
The plate was devoured, poor girl had none left over to take home.
 Helen made a vegan chocolate and raspberry cake. Oh my god! I wasn't fast enough to get the beauty shot before everyone dove into it. Yeah, I had seconds...damn right, can't keep up my whale-ish figure by only having one.
I'm squishy like chicken livers when hugged remember.

There's Meg and Helen toasting the camera with the Sex and the City -pink cups...
it was just us girls tonight, their hubands were both working.

And there's me and Meg.

Yeah that's me...feeling like the beast in a fairy tale...a beast who now has to master at lest five new recipes for next time.
I was so out-shined in the kitchen. When I saw their offerings, I kept thinking to myself  "you have been chopped."  What can I say, I have a horrible case of kitchen envy.



Till next time...Bon Appetit.

No comments:

Post a Comment