Monday, January 12, 2015

Food n Flix January



As I mentioned back on the first of the month, I've joined a blogger group who take a movie and go into the kitchen to make something that the movie inspired them to do. Food 'n Flix.  And this month's pick is being hosted on Cheap Ethnic Eatz.  So, after you take a look over my post, head on over there.(the deadline is actually at the end of the month, but I couldn't wait any longer.)

plot: Bridget is a 30 something singleton who works at a publishing company, and ends up falling for her boss Daniel, who is known to be a complete cad. After things go south with him, Bridget finds herself facing a life alone, until handsome Mark Darcy saves the day when he saves her new job in morning television, and her birthday dinner party.

When I sat down to watch this I took my notes on the food shown in the movie, and found myself making other little comments like "jealous jelly", "guilty morning breakfast", "skirt steak" (which if I wasn't a vegetarian would have done in a heartbeat) "bunny tails", and "darcy party platter". Throw in the actual food seen in the film (gravy, pickles, blue cheese, hot dogs, tuna, green bean casserole, eggs, wedding cake, turkey curry, oranges, leeks, wine, chocolate...so much to choose from) and I could have spent a week making at lest four dinners for this pick.




I decided to do a dessert. Since half the movie takes place in the winter, specifically  during the Christmas/New Year's holiday, I decided to go with a ...fruitcake. (there are a few wrestlers laughing at that one)






Recipe....

2 cups raisins,
1 and 1/2 cup water
1 and 1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup margarine or butter
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 eggs.
2 and 1/2 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup chopped cherries
1 teaspoon baking powder




 Make sure the butter or margarine is melted or softened, then bring it, the raisins, brown sugar and water to a boil for roughly ten minutes, stirring once and awhile.

Let it cool,





Mix together flour, salt, cloves, allspice, cinnamon, baking powder and the cherries in a separate bowl,

then once the raisin mix has cooled enough, mix into it the baking soda and eggs. Now, mix both the dry mixed ingredients and the raisin mix together until it's all one colour.

Bake at 275 degrees for 2 and a half hours, roughly depending on your oven. 




While I was baking this, I heard two of my neighbours in the hallway talking about how they could smell the cinnamon and how it was making them hungry...you have no idea how fabulous that made me feel!  (v.v.g. blogger)

As I said earlier, I had over a page of food notes for this movie, and went back and forth a few times between doing something with pickles (there are at lest three references to pickles on toothpicks) to doing some sort of jam (the orange parfait she was trying to make but ended up with marmalade)  doing eggs (Darcy's rescue omelettes or Pam's eggless shells demo)  or of course the blue soup. (Leek and potato soup via blue string) But, I thought since those will be popular ideas, I'd go in a different direction.





So that's January's dish on the table. I had hoped to have a prettier presentation, but I just didn't have the patience to wait for the weather to warm up (we're sitting at a -29 degree C/windchill of -40 degree C today. Good reason to have an excuse to have the oven on all day too) in order to get to the store and buy props for the table. So, you got the cake in all it's nakedness. And to quote the character of Marc Darcy..."I like you just the way you are."

Till Later

12 comments:

  1. Welcome to the Food 'n Flix club! I can only imagine how wild the smell of this was driving your neighbors, I mean, I can almost smell it through the screen ;). I am a huge fruitcake fan (is that weird to say), so I know I'd love this. Fun inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! LOL...it's not weird to me. I love love love fruitcake.

      Delete
  2. Welcome to the club! Very original direction you took with the fruit cake, perfect for the holidays. And this recipe looks great! I love the skirt steak idea lol. Thanks for participating :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Great pick by the way. Great way to start the year off, with "Bridget"

      Delete
  3. Welcome to the club. I have never made fruitcake but that is liable to change now with this fantastic recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I had fun last month, can't wait to try some of the recipes everyone did.

      Delete
  4. Hi Kimberly. Welcome to Food 'N Flix--it's great to have you watching and cooking along with us. ;-) Love your fruitcake--perfect for the holidays and for the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome, welcome, welcome. Look forward to more posts from you at FnF! Gotta love a good fruit cake, anytime of year!

    ReplyDelete