Sunday, March 22, 2015

Happy Birthday

It is I, Ardeth Blood aka Our Heroine Nosferatu aka The Crazy Vampire Lady aka Your Heavy Metal Goddess aka...okay that's enough.  And it's my birthday. Yeah it is. Sweet Eh? I've survived to 41, (not counting that minute and a half with the car accident back in 2006) 
You might remember earlier in the week on the Theme Week part 1, I mentioned there might be cake! And there is...


 I made myself a carrot cake. First time trying it, and I have to say, for the amount of problems that sprung up, it turned out pretty decent.

1 and 1/3 c flour
1 cup sugar
1and 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 eggs
2/3 cup vegetable oil
1 and 1/2 cup shredded carrots
1 cup raisins

Mix all together, spread evenly into pan, bake 350degree for 30 minutes depending on your oven.

Speaking of my goddamned oven...hence all the issues. This is why I need to find a husband, for situations like this...It all started while shredding the carrots; picture it, little bits of orange slivers flying all over the kitchen, some sorry to say, behind the stove. Well, more between the stove and the wall not behind-behind more like beside. Couldn't get a broom in there too tight without moving the stove a few inches. And we're not talking little crumbs of food, we're talking if I let it sit there I would have drawn creepy-crawlers so I was damn well cleaning the space.
It moved out no trouble, but now, I'm kinda stuck with my stove out in the middle of the kitchen and my kitchen is only a hallway- I think you call them train rooms?  No matter how I twisted or turned or pushed all I managed to do was bang up my knees and pull a muscle in my arm.
Normally, this building is overflowing with maintenance workers, but it's Sunday they're not in on Sunday.  So here's me, pathetic as I am unable to get any of the neighbours to stop and help. Yes I did ask people in the building, they all just looked at me like I sprouted wings or something.
I'll have to be rescued tomorrow between 9am and 4:30pm...but there is enough space to open and close the oven door still so...on with the food.


Here it is, and for once it's sort of pretty isn't it? Made me feel damn happy tell you that much.
The frosting was pre-made from a tin...Hey, I'm not Betty Crocker yet.

And keeping the whole vibe of the theme week, I had been saving some SATC cocktail napkins, pink cups, pink silverware etc for today. Couldn't find any pink candles, but I did have some yellow and green left. And some candy hearts from Valentines day.

This is the first time in years I have really felt like celebrating my birthday. Even though, I'm sitting here by myself...more cake for me...I wanted to dress the table for the cake.
Okay, so I wanted to blog about my afternoon too.

So my lovely Spudguns! here's to having our cake and eating it too...and working ovens.

41 and Fabulous!

2 comments:

  1. Happy Happy Birthday (a little belated, sorry)! Your cake sounds good, I love carrot cake. And Sex and the City is a fun theme - total girl's day. :) Hope you had a great day...and got your stove moved back in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you.
      Yes, but I had to wait few days, till I had a "real issue" to call about. Ironically, my bathroom sink backed up and that was what I called about. Funny how life works.

      Delete