Monday, March 16, 2015

What that movie inspired me to do #14

NOTE - I'm counting the Food n Flix blog group entries as #11, #12 and #13.

(#1 was talking about how Julie/Julia inspired this blog,  Bridget Jones's Diary changed my thinking, The Jane Austen Book Club got me partaking in book clubs.  #2 was Nightmare on Elm Street Dream Warriors inspired paper mache house, #3 was the Elvira Mistress of the Dark casserole, #4 was how Ninth Gate inspired me to read the original book Club Dumas, #5 Ramen Girl inspiring me to become obsessed with ramen, #6 was the YaYa Sisterhood inspiring me to start scrapbooking, #7 was Lost Boys fried rice, #8 was movie Casserole Club inspiring a "bad awful casserole", #9 was Twilight New Moon inspiring me to make a dream catcher, #10 vampire movies in general with the Friday the 13th dinner where I had food from a bunch of vampire movies,)

Anyways... today it's PIZZA DAY! inspired by two movies actually

Return of the Killer Tomatoes,  which I talked about way back in year one (Day 42)  When I talked about this movie originally first year of the blog, I focused on the bad pizza toppings.

And the second movie that inspired this is  Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles  which I don't think I've ever talked about on this blog?
Dude, there's a lot of pizza displayed in this franchise. Back in the day when this franchise started, some of the pizza combos they have them talking about had people screwing up their noses; now some nearly 30 years later, gourmet pizza is the key to happiness.

This is also a bit of a challenge coming from the hostess of Girlichef.  After a food related chat, she threw the gauntlet down pointing me to her many pizza related recipes on her blog and said "Don't be a foodie wimp- DO IT!"
So after raping her blog of it's pizza recipes...er um READING, I meant reading all the pizza related posts on her blog, I decided I was too impatient to wait for rising dough, so I went with the recipe on the back of the yeast package. No proofing/rising no waiting. Pizza totally done start to finish in under 30 minutes.  Enough to make Donatello proud. (yeah the one Corey Feldman voiced)...(remember the Corey Feldman comment for May as that's a hint to both the Theme Week of May and the Food n Flix movie pick...)

For my sauce
-one can tomato paste with 2 cans of water
-salt
-black pepper
-about a teaspoon minced garlic
-about a tablespoon dry oregano
-about a tablespoon dry parsley
-about a tablespoon dry basil
-teaspoon of sugar
-tablespoon cornstarch
-tablespoon extra virgin olive oil 

Just simmer it all together for about ten minutes on lowest heat. Let cool/thicken for a few minutes. I had enough leftover that I'm freezing a few containers for next time.

Now, my dough, as I said I used the package's recipe from the yeast.
-combine 1 cup all purpose flour with 1 envelope UNDISSOLVED yeast, 1 and a 1/2 teaspoon sugar, and 3/4 teaspoon salt. Then add 2/3 cup warm water and 3 tablespoon oil. Mix well until blended.

Then it tells you to add more flour, and it just says "add enough all purpose flour to make a soft dough".   Okay really...I used more flour today then I think I have in the last four months cause "add enough..." ended up being a hell of a lot more then expected.  What the hell is "add enough"? That's not a measurement that's a messy kitchen is what that is, cause you end up with your hands covered in dough and end up having to grab the flour bag four or five times dumping it in...moving on...

It says "dough should be slightly sticky."  Slightly being the trick answer here. It was like superglue. Knead on a floured surface adding additional flour as needed...see more flour.

When it's all smooth and elastic, package says 4 straight minutes but trust me it took longer, then start rolling it out on a greased pan.
Okay, the package is then really cute cause it tells you how to add your sauce and toppings. Too cute seriously.

Preheat oven to 425degrees and bake for 15 minutes.

I went with onions, monterey- jack cheese and cheddar cheese, kept it simple.

The dough ended up rising bit more then expected in the oven, giving it a chewier then I thought texture, but...piiiizzzzzzaaaaa! 

I am so so so glad Heather at Girlichef  slapped me upside the head to make this. I mean, dude, I've had "homemade" pizza before, you know when you buy a kit or a pre-made crust and make your own sauce; but this was so much better!
The directions on the yeast - and I used Fleischmann's Pizza Yeast for anyone who's counting out there- says 30 minutes start to eat, but I swear making the dough itself took me nearly 60minutes.

As you can see, I didn't get it rolled all the way to the edges, but that's okay cause it doesn't need to be pretty, it just needs to keep you happy...dude, it's pizza it's gorgeous no matter what form it comes in. Right, tell me I'm not right on that one. Everyone on the planet is a pizza slut so don't try to pretend you're not!

Till next time....

2 comments:

  1. I pretty much giggled my way through this whole post. You know I'm always happy to smack you in the right direction! That dough looks really good (which obviously it should...60 minutes and all). ;) And you're right - HOMEMADE PIZZA! That's enough.


    p.s. - Yes to the Corey Feldman version!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha!
      Damn, our age is showing on the Feldman...

      Delete