Thursday, December 10, 2015

Year 5 Day 8

Movie: Bell Book and Candle
starring: Kim Novak, James Stewart
genre; Comedy, Romance
year: 1958
format: online

plot: A young witch casts a love spell on her neighbour, which causes a chain reaction of events. From helping him land a major client for his publishing company, to creating havoc on his ex-girlfriend. After awhile, the witch is forced to choose loosing her powers or the man she's in love with.

This is based on the broadway play.

I've seen bits and pieces of this over the years on tv, but till now had never seen the whole thing and actually had to hunt it down online to do so.  I sort of wish now that I hadn't bothered. For the decade it was done, I get why it was considered a great movie. But I guess almost 60 years later it's just lost some of it's charm...on me anyways.
I liked the fact they did do some research into the occult for this film, and the pairing of Novak with Stewart made sense. I guess with all the hype around it I was expecting some big breakthrough or something.
The scenes at the Zodiac Club, reminded me of the movie Bucket of Blood, and the meddling aunt was a cute touch. She seemed to know better then the other characters what was actually good for them. I was sort of put off too, by the idea that the witch wasn't allowed to be in love. That whole plot line had me raising an eyebrow.

What do I think I learned from this movie:Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment