Monday, April 11, 2016

year 5 day 123

movie: Albert Nobbs
starring: Glenn Close, Aaron Taylor-Johnson
genre: Drama
year: 2011
format; Netflix Canada

plot: A woman living as a man in the early 1900's, tries to juggle a normal life.

Based on the novel.

Normally, I like anything set in this time period, but I found this to drag on a bit too long. I think ten or even fifteen minutes could have been chopped from it, and it still wouldn't have lost any of it's plot.
I really wanted to like the characters, but I found them less and less interesting as the film progressed. The character of the love interest played by Mia Wasikowska, was just too whinny.  And all the male characters seemed to be treated in one dimensional views. (abusive drunks, careless playboys with a different woman each night, cowardly)

The themes lean heavily on identity, freedom, independence, and feminism. You're under the impression for the first half of the movie, that the lead character is living as a man just for the chance to earn a job in a time when women couldn't hold certain positions in society, but midway through, the direction changes and we learn she's a lesbian. Only, she comes across as not completely seeming to understand it herself, when she talks about her life as a man. I'm not completely sure if that was the way the character was written or just the delivery of the lines?

what did I learn? I'm not sure I learned much on this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment